Many people know the large zucchini are great for making bread, but few people realize that you can make quick bread out of any summer squash. For those of you that wait eagerly for those large squash to arrive in the summer this recipe is for you:
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil (or 1/2 cup applesauce and 1/2 cup oil)
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 2 cups shredded summer squash
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease two loaf pans.
In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the eggs until fluffy. Beat in the sugar, oil, and vanilla. Gradually mix in the flour, baking powder and soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Fold in the squash. Mix in walnuts. Transfer to the prepared loaf pans.
Bake 45 minutes-1hour in the preheated oven, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.