Basil loves summer sun! Pesto season is here. Here’s a great recipe for pesto.
- 2 cups fresh basil tips and leaves, gently packed
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan-Reggiano or Romano cheese
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup pine nuts OR sunflower seeds (these are less expansive than pine nuts and add great flavor!)
- 3 medium sized garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
In a food processor, combine the basil in with the pine nuts or sunflower seeds, pulse a few times. Add the garlic, pulse a few times more.
Slowly add the olive oil in a constant stream while the food processor is on. Stop to scrape down the sides of the food processor with a rubber spatula. Add the grated cheese and pulse again until blended. Add a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
Serve with just about anything: pasta, steamed veggies, potatoes, or spread over toast or crackers or pizza toppinf.